Saturday, February 16, 2013

Month 2: Clothing

Matthew 6:28-30  "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
Just before those verses Jesus talks about where our treasures lie, there will our hearts be also. he also says how our bodies are more than clothes. These are the questions I thought might be helpful to pray about before our prayer group Monday.
How does this relate to our closet, and why would these two things come up side by side?
How does our clothing and appearance relate to our faith?
Do I have little faith because I have a closet I can walk in and still declare to I have nothing to wear?

Here's my thoughts on these questions:
To be honest, I feel like this fast is rather easy for me because Jason and I have recently been working towards a smaller wardrobe, with just essentials. After 3 babies, my pre-pregnancy clothes don't fit right, and any non-maternity clothes I wore have stains from this and that, the "that" being kids. So I actually have been going through clothes and clearing out things. The fact I will only buy USA made clothes (that's a whole different blog post for a different time) means that what I buy has to be multi-functional, and less of it, because I just can't afford as much. Practical and less. That's what I've wanted for a while.
However, all that isn't from a spiritual standpoint, and fasting from clothes this month needs to put the focus on God.  I'm searching for the right direction in that. I do like to dress up, mainly, because I just want to feel like a woman and not a tissue for kids to wipe noses and food on. I also want to look nice for my husband. I want him to still be proud of the woman he married.  I'm sure you know the feeling.
It's hard to see myself the way God does sometimes when I'm too ashamed to look in the mirror.  I am very aware of all the imperfections of my body, especially after pregnancy, and I know I'm not alone in this.  I think it's rare for us as women to be happy with our bodies.  Why is that?  Is it culture?  Is that why we keep adding this trendy shirt, that cute belt, and those shoes that were just too good a deal to pass up, to our wardrobe?  Maybe the clothes make us the women we think we want to be.  "O, you of little faith," Jesus says.  
But who does God want us to be? And why are we spending His money on a bunch of clothes to fill our wardrobe and leaving our hearts longing and empty?  We might actually be the women God wants us to be, completely full of the Spirit, if we stopped buying a bunch of earthly treasures and used His money to help His people.  That's what I want for us all, to look in the mirror and see the Spirit-filled person God sees.  That's why I'm fasting this month.

What about you?  Why do you fast this month?  What are you hoping to learn about God?  I can't wait to hear!

Much love,
Kara Bea


No comments:

Post a Comment